Indulge in Flan de Cafe, the Perfect Dessert Delight!
In this recipe article, I am excited to share with you my personal favorite dessert of all time – Flan de Cafe. This traditional Latin American dessert is essentially a creamy caramel custard infused with the rich flavors of brewed coffee. This dessert is so smooth, silky and packed with a delightful coffee aroma that will transport you to the streets of Havana or the cities of Colombia in just one bite.
As a barista, I have been experimenting with various coffee-infused desserts, and out of all them, Flan de Cafe has always been a hit among my friends and family. The recipe is simple, but the unique blend of sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs, and instant coffee granules creates an unforgettable flavor that’s perfect for any occasion.
Whether you’re looking for a simple dessert to impress your guests or simply craving something sweet and satisfying after dinner or lunch, Flan de Cafe is truly the perfect choice. So put on your apron and let’s get started creating a decadent homemade treat that will leave everyone asking for more!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Listen up, coffee aficionados! You are about to experience the rich and velvety taste of a traditional Mexican dessert – Flan De Cafe. This coffee flan recipe combines the creaminess of milk with the boldness of coffee to give you an indulgent treat that will leave you yearning for more.
What sets this recipe apart is its simplicity and versatility. With just a few basic ingredients like eggs, sugar, and evaporated milk, you can create this delightful dessert in no time. The addition of instant coffee granules lends it a unique flavor that will satisfy your caffeine cravings.
Another reason to love this recipe is its ability to accommodate several variations. You can add different flavors like orange zest or cream cheese to elevate its taste further. Whether you prefer your Flan De Cafe caramelized or without, there’s always something for everyone.
And guess what? This recipe is not just limited to coffee lovers. If you want to impress your guests or pamper yourself with a decadent dessert, Flan De Cafe is perfect for any occasion. It’s an excellent choice for a dinner party or potluck gathering and takes minimal effort to prepare.
So, why wait? Head straight to your kitchen and whip up some Flan De Cafe magic! Trust me; your taste buds will thank you for it.
Before we begin, make sure to gather all the ingredients necessary for this delicious and creamy coffee flan de café recipe. You will need the following:
For the Flan
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of instant coffee granules
- 1 can (14 oz / 397g) of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 oz / 354ml) of evaporated milk
For the Caramel Topping
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of water
- A little bit of orange zest
By having all your ingredients measured and gathered in one place, you will have an easier time making this delicious flan. So, let’s get started!
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all the ingredients prepared, it’s time to get our hands dirty and make some flan de café!
Step 1: Begin by preparing the caramelized sugar sauce for the flan. In a small saucepan over medium heat, add in 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of water. Mix with a wooden spoon until the sugar dissolves. Avoid stirring from this point forward as it could cause crystallization. Cook for about 10 minutes until it reaches a golden color. Pour into your ramekins or baking dish and swirl them around to coat the bottom evenly. Let cool down.
Step 2: Preheat your oven to 325°F.
Step 3: In a blender, combine 1 can of evaporated milk, 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, and 1 cup of prepared coffee (instant coffee granules dissolved in water). Add in 4 large eggs, 2 egg yolks, and orange zest from one orange. Mix until everything is combined and smooth.
Step 4: Next, pour the mixture into your prepared ramekins or baking dish with the caramelized sugar syrup at the bottom. Then cover with aluminum foil.
Step 5: Transfer your ramekins or baking dish to a larger baking pan filled halfway with water (a bain-marie). This will ensure that your flan cooks evenly and slowly.
Step 6: Bake for about 50-60 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean when you poke in the middle of your prepared flan. Remember everyone’s oven is different so keep an eye on it starting around the 30-minute mark.
Step 7: Once done, let cool in their molds for an hour, then refrigerate it for at least two hours or until set.
Optional decorative step
Once completely chilled, you can run a knife blade carefully along the edges of your molds before flipping on a serving platter to reveal a stunning layer of caramel followed by creamy flan. Top with whipped cream, berries or grated chocolate if desired.
Now that you know how to make coffee flan, impress everyone with this unique variation of traditional flan dessert!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to flan recipes, variations are limitless. Once you’ve mastered the base recipe for flan de café, indulge your imagination by experimenting with different ingredients and flavors. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
1. Chocolate: If you’re a chocolate lover, replace the coffee with cocoa powder or melted chocolate to make a decadent chocolate flan.
2. Different Coffee Varieties: For those who love the taste of coffee, but might not fancy the instantly soluble coffee granules used in this recipe, you can try using espresso or freshly brewed coffee instead.
3. Orange zest: Add a burst of citrus flavor to your flan de café by stirring in some grated orange zest into your mixture.
4. Cream Cheese: Incorporating cream cheese to your mixture gives an exciting twist to your flan de café.
5. Caramel Custard: Caramel custard is another popular dessert similar to flan that’s also made with condensed milk and eggs. Experimenting with flavors like vanilla, cinnamon, or caramel will give your traditional Flan de Café a delightful spin.
6. Leche Flan Filippino Style: This is made from egg yolks instead of whole eggs and incorporates sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk mixed altogether Instead of the one cup of evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk used in the base recipe.
7. Thermomix or Blender Recipe Variation: This method involves blending all the ingredients in a blender or Thermomix machine until everything is combined thoroughly, then pouring the mixture into ramekins or molds.
Feel free to customize this recipe by adding different flavors or substitutes based on what’s already in your pantry. Regardless, there’s no better way to impress your loved ones than with an indulgent dish, like Flan de Café!
Serving and Pairing
Once your Flan De Cafe is ready, it’s time to serve and savor every single bite. This coffee-flavored flan is the perfect dessert to finish off a delicious meal with family and friends. Let me give you some ideas on how to make the most of it.
One way to serve Flan De Cafe is with caramel sauce drizzled over the top. This adds a little sweetness and complements the coffee flavor of this dessert. You can also sprinkle some orange zest on top to add a fresh and zesty citrus aroma that elevates the overall taste.
Another way to enjoy Flan De Cafe is by pairing it with a cup of strong espresso or café de olla, which are both traditional Mexican coffee drinks. The combination of coffee flavors will enhance your taste buds and leave you feeling warm and comforted.
If you’re in the mood for something different, try serving Flan De Cafe with a shot of tequila or your favorite liqueur. The creamy texture of the flan and bold flavors of the liquor will create a unique blend of tastes that will satisfy any sweet palate.
You can also get creative with toppings by adding whipped cream, chocolate shavings, or chopped nuts like pecans or hazelnuts for some crunchy texture.
Flan De Cafe can be enjoyed at any time of the day, whether as an after-dinner sweet treat or even for breakfast with a cup of coffee. Its versatility makes it an ideal dessert for any occasion.
So go ahead, indulge in this heavenly coffee flan recipe and surprise your guests with its rich creamy texture, bold coffee flavor, and unique appearance.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Once you’ve made this delightful coffee flan, you may be wondering how to store and reheat it for future enjoyment. Good news! This flan is great for make-ahead meal prep.
To easily store the flan, cover it with plastic wrap and place it in an airtight container. You can refrigerate it for up to three days or freeze it for two weeks. Be sure to allow the flan to fully cool before placing it in the fridge or freezer.
When reheating, place the flan in a deep dish and pour hot water into the dish so that it surrounds the bottom of the mold. Next, place the dish into an oven preheated to 350°F (180°C) and bake it for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Another way to reheat the flan is by putting it in a microwave-safe dish and microwaving for 20 seconds intervals until heated through.
Remember not to overheat the flan or leave it out for too long as it will become runny or spoil. But if you end up with extra slices, they will make a great on-the-go treat when placed in an insulated lunch bag with an ice pack.
Now you have a delicious coffee-flavored dessert that can be enjoyed at any time with ease!
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to making flan de café, there are a few key tips that can help ensure perfect results every time. As a barista who has prepared this dessert countless times, here are my top recommendations for achieving the best coffee flan possible:
1. Use high-quality coffee: Since the main flavor in this recipe is coffee, it’s crucial to use a good quality brand that you enjoy. Instant coffee granules work well in this recipe, but if you prefer a stronger taste, consider using espresso powder or brewed coffee.
2. Don’t overcook the caramel: When preparing the caramel for the base of the flan, be sure not to overcook it or let it burn. Once the sugar is melted and has turned a golden color, quickly pour it into your baking dish and tilt the dish so that the caramel covers the entire bottom evenly.
3. Blend your ingredients well: When mixing together your ingredients for the flan mixture, be sure to blend thoroughly until completely smooth. This will help ensure a silky texture and prevent any lumps from forming.
4. Use a water bath: To prevent your flan from cracking or curdling while baking, use a water bath. Simply place your baking dish inside a larger pan filled with enough hot water to reach halfway up the sides of your baking dish.
5. Allow time for chilling: After baking, allow your flan to cool completely at room temperature before transferring it to the fridge to chill for at least 2-3 hours or overnight. This helps ensure proper setting and optimal flavor development.
By following these tips, you can elevate your flan de café game and impress your guests with a decadent yet simple dessert.
As you prepare to make your very own Flan De Cafe, you might have some questions and concerns with regards to the recipe. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions to help guide you through the process. Only clear and concise answers will be provided to avoid confusion in your preparation.
What are the three types of flan?
Flan is a beloved dessert enjoyed in various countries, including Cuba, the Philippines, and Latin America. These regions have their own unique takes on the classic dish. For instance, Cuban flan relies on canned evaporated and condensed milk due to the scarcity of fresh milk. Meanwhile, the Filipino version, known as leche flan, is comparable to the Mexican iteration. Flan de queso, a variation of Latin American flan, incorporates cream cheese and can be infused with coconut to add an extra layer of flavor.
Is flan Cuban or Puerto Rican?
One of Puerto Rico’s iconic sweets is the flan, a delectable dessert with a milk and egg foundation, also recognized as an egg custard by many.
What is Mexican flan made of?
Mexican flan is a well-known dessert that requires only a few basic ingredients. This delicious treat is typically made using eggs, cream cheese, and both condensed and evaporated milk.
What is the brown liquid in flan?
When preparing a flan, one important step is to create a caramelized sugar coating that goes on the dish before the custard is added. Once the flan is chilled, the caramelized sugar turns into a sauce due to the moisture from the custard. It makes for a delicious and sweet addition to the overall taste of the dessert.
I hope you have enjoyed reading about my Flan De Cafe recipe. It’s a delicious dessert that I’ve loved making for years as a barista. This creamy, caramel-y flan is a perfect choice for coffee lovers and those who have a sweet tooth.
By having the right ingredients, following the recipe carefully, and utilizing the tips I’ve provided, you can create your own flan de cafe that tastes just as good as any you’d find in a coffee shop or Latin American bakery.
So why not give it a try? Get creative with the flavors and toppings, indulge in its exquisite richness and enjoy it with family and friends. With this recipe, you’ll be able to create your own version of this delightful dessert and impress everyone at your next gathering. Trust me; this Flan De Cafe recipe won’t disappoint!
Flan De Cafe Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup water, warmed
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules, heaping
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated (optional)
- whipped cream, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place sugar in a heavy skillet and melt over med-low heat until golden. Do not stir the sugar, but you can swirl it in the pan to avoid burning.
- Optional: once sugar is almost completely melted, add 1 tsp grated orange zest and continue swirling until thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour caramel into a 9 x 2 inch cake pan and swirl until bottom is covered. Careful, the pan will get hot immediately, so use a potholder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the warm water and the instant coffee. Mix well.
- Add the milks and the eggs, whisking to combine thoroughly.
- Strain over the caramel in the prepared pan. The caramel will make a cracking sound, no worries! Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Place a dishtowel or washcloth in the bottom of a pan large enough to hold the flan pan. Carefully place the flan pan over the towel. Add very hot or boiling water to the outer pan, to a level about halfway up the flan pan.
- TIP: To avoid sloshing boiling water, place the pans in the oven FIRST, then add the boiling water.
- Bake for 1 hour, then remove from oven. Let the flan cool to room temp in the water bath.
- Refrigerate the flan until ready to serve. It is much better if made 24 hours in advance.
- To serve, run a sharp knife around the edge of the flan, then place a large RIMMED plate over the flan pan and invert until the flan lets loose and all the caramel flows out. Cut in wedges, garnish with whipped cream and serve.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
John has been working in the coffee industry for over five years, having started out as a barista in the bustling city of Los Angeles. He fell in love with the craft and set out to expand his knowledge and understanding of coffee. He has traveled all over the world, visiting coffee farms and learning from the best in the industry. His mission is to share his love of coffee and its unique flavors with others, and The Drive Coffee Bar is his way of doing that.