Warm Your Soul With Our Delicious Corn Chowder Soup Recipe
Welcome to my copycat Mimi’s Cafe corn chowder recipe – a creamy and savory dish that will take your taste buds on a journey. As a barista, I have always believed that the key to happiness is a warm bowl of soup on a cold day, and this recipe has never let me down. Mimicking the signature dish from the popular Mimi’s Cafe chain, this corn chowder is packed with delicious ingredients that will make you feel like you are sitting at the café itself.
Mimi’s Cafe corn chowder is all about satisfying your soup cravings with its silky smooth texture, incredible taste, and easy preparation process. With its irresistible aroma and flavorsome ingredients, this chowder is perfect for family dinners or when hosting friends for an intimate get-together.
Every time I serve this dish, I get rave reviews from my guests, who love how deliciously satisfying it is. With this copycat Mimi’s Cafe corn chowder recipe, you too can enjoy the taste of the famous café in the comfort of your own home. So grab your apron, put on some music, and join me in making one of the best soups you’ll ever have!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Imagine indulging yourself in a warm, comforting bowl of Mimi’s Cafe Corn Chowder. The thick, creamy texture is a delight to your taste buds and the addition of potatoes and corn kernels gives it the perfect bite. This recipe is an iconic American comfort food that will take your taste buds on a heavenly journey.
One of the best things about this recipe is its versatility. Whether you’re looking for a quick lunch or dinner, this corn chowder will satisfy all your cravings. Its ingredients are simple and easy to find in any local store. You don’t need to be an expert cook to make this dish, just follow the steps carefully and you’ll have a perfect meal in no time.
This Mimi’s Cafe recipe stands out from the rest because it delivers authentic flavors that are guaranteed to impress your guests. And if you love soups or stews, then you’ll find your new favorite with this creamy corn chowder that will undoubtedly make you come back for more.
If you’re worried about counting calories, adding vegetables such as celery and onions not only makes it healthier but also adds flavor depth that shouldn’t be missed. Even better, you can make substitutions and variations to fit your dietary needs and preferences- try swapping half-and-half cream for whole milk or almond milk for a lighter option.
In conclusion, this copycat recipe is perfect for those who love playing kitchen and want to try something new with fresh sweet corn or frozen corn kernels. Whether made in a slow cooker or large pot, this creamy and healthy corn chowder sure will be loved by any soup lovers out there- even Frieda who loves her bread! So whip up some homemade Mimi’s cafe-style corn chowders tonight and serve hot with your favorite crusty bread- your taste buds will thank you!
To make this copycat Mimi Cafe Corn Chowder recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter or margarine
- 2 ½ cups of diced potatoes (peeled)
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 cup of diced celery
- 4 cups of hot water
- 4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons of white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- ¾ teaspoon of ground white pepper
- 2 cups of frozen corn kernels
- 1 quart / 4 cups of half-and-half cream
Most of these ingredients should be easily found in any grocery store. Make sure you have everything ready before starting the cooking process.
The Recipe How-To
To start making this savory Corn Chowder in the comfort of your own kitchen, follow these steps below:
- 4 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 2 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large pot or a Dutch oven, melt 6 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Add 3/4 cup chopped onions and celery and sauté until tender for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle1/2 cup of flour, then stir continuously for about 2 minutes to cook off the raw flour taste.
- Add the hot water gradually while stirring until you get a smooth mixture; then keep stirring as you add the quart of half-and-half cream, pour in gradually and keep stirring to avoid lumps forming.
- Add the frozen corn kernels and diced potatoes, then increase heat to bring ingredients to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally for about 15 –20 minutes, till potatoes are tender.
- Mix in the remaining seasoning ingredients: 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, then allow it all to simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow it to cool down a bit before serving.
This easy-to-follow recipe is adapted from Todd Wilbur’s copycat Mimi Cafe Corn Chowder recipe found in Recipe(food.com).
Substitutions and Variations
There are plenty of ways to customize this corn chowder recipe to your liking. Here are some suggestions for substitutions and variations:
– To make the chowder healthier, you can use low-fat milk or almond milk instead of half-and-half cream.
– If you don’t have flour on hand, you can use cornstarch as a thickener instead.
– For a bit of heat, try adding diced jalapeños or crushed red pepper flakes.
– To make the chowder more filling, you can add diced cooked ham or bacon.
– Instead of frozen corn kernels, you can use fresh sweet corn if it’s in season.
– If you’re vegetarian or vegan, use margarine instead of butter and replace the half-and-half cream with coconut cream.
– For a twist on the classic recipe, try making a potato and creamed corn chowder instead. Simply substitute the frozen corn kernels with creamed corn and add diced potatoes.
Don’t be afraid to get creative and experiment with different ingredients in this recipe. That’s part of the fun of playing in the kitchen!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing the Mimi’s Cafe Corn Chowder recipe, there are several options to choose from. This creamy and satisfying soup is perfect for a chilly evening, but can also be enjoyed as a side dish with your favorite main course.
For a complete meal, try pairing the corn chowder with a fresh salad or a hearty sandwich. The sweetness of the corn will balance well with the tanginess of a Caesar salad or the saltiness of a ham and cheese sandwich.
For a special touch, serve the chowder in bread bowls. Simply hollow out a loaf of bread and ladle the soup inside. This adds an extra layer of texture to the dish and makes for a fun presentation.
If you’re looking for a wine pairing, opt for a crisp white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay. The acidity in these wines will complement the sweetness of the corn without overpowering the delicate flavors.
Lastly, don’t forget about dessert! A slice of warm apple pie pairs perfectly with this classic American dish. The sweetness of the pie crust is balanced by the savory notes in the chowder, making for a truly delectable combination.
No matter how you choose to serve or pair it, Mimi’s Cafe Corn Chowder recipe is sure to please all taste buds. So go ahead and get creative in the kitchen – who knows what delicious combinations you might discover!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Mimi’s Cafe Corn Chowder can be made ahead of time and easily stored for later enjoyment. This chowder is perfect for freezing or refrigerating, allowing you to enjoy it on a cold winter day as well as in the summertime.
To store the corn chowder, first allow it to cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container. Then place the container in the refrigerator or freezer depending on when you plan to eat it. The shelf-life of this chowder depends on the storage method used. If placed in the refrigerator, the chowder should be consumed within 3-4 days. If frozen, it can be stored for up to 2-3 months.
When reheating this creamy chowder, you can use either a microwave or a stove-top method. To reheat in the microwave, simply remove the lid from the container and heat on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring after each minute until heated through. To reheat on the stove-top, put the soup in a pot and reheat under medium heat while stirring occasionally.
It is essential to keep in mind that when reheating Mimi’s Cafe Corn Chowder, avoid boiling it as this will cause the dairy ingredients to separate and impact its taste and texture negatively.
Overall, by following these simple tips and tricks for storing and reheating, you can have delicious Mimi’s Cafe Corn Chowder ready and waiting for you whenever you want it!
Tips for Perfect Results
For the perfect Mimi’s Cafe Corn Chowder Recipe, there are few tips and tricks that you can use to achieve the best results.
First and foremost, when cooking the potatoes, make sure to cut them into small chunks so that they cook thoroughly and evenly. Adding a little salt while boiling the potatoes will enhance their flavor once added to the chowder.
When adding the flour to thicken the chowder, it’s important to gradually mix it in until completely blended. This ensures that there are no lumps formed in the mixture.
If you don’t have half-and-half cream on hand, feel free to use milk instead. However, using half-and-half cream will give you a creamier and richer texture.
To avoid burning the onions and celery, cook them over low-medium heat until translucent. This slowly extracts their flavors without making them significant.
Lastly, be sure not to boil your chowder once it is done cooking as this will change the texture and could cause separation of ingredients; instead, serve it immediately with some crusty bread on the side for an outstanding palette experience.
By using these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to make a perfect copycat Mimi’s Cafe Corn Chowder every time.
In conclusion, this savory recipe from Mimi’s Cafe is the perfect dish to warm up your body and soul. With its creamy texture and flavorful combination of ingredients, it’s a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
This recipe is highly versatile, allowing for substitutions and variations based on your preferences. It’s also easy to make ahead, store, and reheat, making it a great option for busy weeknights or meal prep.
By using high-quality ingredients and following the tips for perfect results, this corn chowder recipe can be just as delicious as the one served at Mimi’s Cafe. So what are you waiting for? Get cooking and treat yourself to a bowl of comfort food that will satisfy both your taste buds and your soul.
Mimi’s Cafe Corn Chowder Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 a stick)
- 6 tablespoons chopped onions
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 2 cups cubed potatoes (1/2 inch pieces)
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Once melted add celery and onion and saute for 5 minutes (not til brown, just til soft).
- Add water, potatoes, corn, sugar, salt and pepper, making sure water covers everything, adding more if not covered completely. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, usually about 30 minutes.
- Whisk flour into 1 cup of the half and half and then stir into soup.
- Add remaining half and half and simmer until soup is thickened to a creamy consistency (usually about 15 minutes).
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if wanted. If the chowder is too thick, add some milk, if it is too thin, simmer for 5-10 minutes more.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
John has been working in the coffee industry for over five years, having started out as a barista in the bustling city of Los Angeles. He fell in love with the craft and set out to expand his knowledge and understanding of coffee. He has traveled all over the world, visiting coffee farms and learning from the best in the industry. His mission is to share his love of coffee and its unique flavors with others, and The Drive Coffee Bar is his way of doing that.