As a barista and coffee-lover, I can attest that coffee is more than just a morning pick-me-up. Its rich, bold flavor and aroma can enhance the taste of many dishes, including meats like chicken. That’s why I’m excited to share my delicious Coffee Chicken Recipe with you.
Coffee Chicken is tender and juicy on the inside, with a crispy exterior that’s packed with flavor. The secret to this mouth-watering dish lies in the dry rub and marinade made with brewed coffee, brown sugar, light soy sauce, and other savory ingredients. Trust me; your taste buds will thank you for trying this recipe.
Whether you’re looking for a unique twist on traditional chicken recipes or simply love experimenting with new flavors, my Coffee Chicken Recipe is perfect for you. It’s easy to make and versatile, so feel free to customize it based on your preferences.
In this article, I’ll provide a detailed guide on how to make my Coffee Chicken Recipe, including tips for perfect results, substitutions and variations, serving suggestions, storing and reheating instructions, and more. So what are you waiting for? Grab your apron and let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you love chicken, and you love coffee, then you’re in for a treat with this Coffee Chicken Recipe. This recipe breaks away from the traditional chicken dishes and brings you something entirely different to elevate your taste buds to cloud nine.
One of the reasons why I love this recipe is that it uses brewed coffee as its base ingredient which adds a rich and aromatic flavor to the dish. Imagine savoring grilled chicken marinated in the deep, bold notes of brewed coffee, combined with light soy sauce and fresh lemon juice – this combination will leave your mouth watering for more.
Moreover, this recipe allows room for customization according to your preferences. For example, you can play around with your dry rub ingredients by adjusting the levels of chili powder, smoked paprika or brown sugar to suit your spice tolerance levels.
This recipe not only tastes delicious but is also quite easy to prepare. In just under an hour, you can make a sumptuous meal for a family gathering or even meal prep for the whole week – this works wonders when paired with brown rice or quinoa.
Don’t hesitate – try out this recipe today and step up your culinary game. With its unique flavor profile and easy preparation, it is sure to be a regular dish amongst your friends and family.
For the coffee chicken recipe, you will need:
- 1 whole roasting chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the Dry Rub
To make the dry rub, you will need:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ground coffee
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
For the Coffee Marinade
To make the coffee marinade, you will need:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons brewed coffee (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
The Recipe How-To
Now that all the prep work is out of the way, it’s time to get cooking! Here are the steps to making this coffee chicken recipe:
Step 1: Make the Dry Rub
Start by making the dry rub for the chicken. In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of ground coffee, 1 teaspoon of paprika, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Rub this mixture all over your roasting chicken and let it sit for around 30 minutes.
Step 2: Make the Coffee Marinade
In a medium bowl, whisk together ½ cup brewed coffee, 1 tablespoon of ketchup, 3 tablespoons of light soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 3 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon zest, 1 tablespoon molasses and 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar. This flavorful marinade will give your chicken a unique taste that will leave your taste buds screaming for more.
Step 3: Let the Chicken Marinate
Drop your dry-rubbed chicken into the marinade, cover with plastic wrap or a lid and place in the fridge for at least an hour or even better, overnight. The longer you let it marinate, the stronger flavor you’ll have.
Step 4: Roast the Chicken
After letting your marinated chicken sit, brings it out and allow to sit on bench for 15 minutes. Preheat your oven up to 180° Celsius (350° Fahrenheit). Place your marinated chicken cut into pieces into baking dish and bake it in preheated oven for around 60-75 minutes until cooked through depending on size . Once done, remove from oven and let it rest for another 5-10 minutes before serving.
There you have it – tender, juicy, flavorful coffee chicken that is sure to impress everyone around you. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
For those wanting to mix up the coffee chicken recipe, there are a few substitutions and variations that can be made to suit your preferences. Here are a few ideas:
– Chicken wings: For a mouthwatering appetizer, swap out the roasting chicken for chicken wings. Make sure to coat them thoroughly with the dry rub and bake for about 20-30 minutes.
– Smoked chicken: If you own a smoker, try smoked chicken instead of roasted for an even richer flavor.
– Grilled chicken breast: For a more summery vibe, grilled chicken breast is a tasty alternative. Use the same marinade and rub but grill over medium heat until done.
– BBQ chicken: To add some sweetness to your chicken, brush it with your favorite BBQ sauce during the last 10 minutes of cooking. The coffee flavor will still shine through but the sauce will add an extra lip-smacking dimension.
– Fried chicken: For crispy comfort food, fry the marinated or brined chicken (with a seasoned flour coating of course) in hot oil until golden brown.
– Sticky coffee thighs: Use bone-in thighs and brush on a sticky glaze made with extra honey or molasses during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Feel free to experiment with different cuts of chicken and cooking methods to find your new favorite coffee chicken recipe.
Serving and Pairing
Once the coffee chicken is cooked, it’s time to present it in style! A platter of piping hot and aromatic chicken can be served on a bed of fluffy rice or a side of crispy roast potatoes. This recipe pairs perfectly with the classics such as a Caesar salad, coleslaw or some sautéed green beans.
Alternatively, if you’re feeling more adventurous, try serving this coffee chicken recipe with other unique combinations like roasted root vegetables or even grilled peaches for an exciting taste experience.
To balance out the richness of the dish, I highly recommend pairing it with a refreshing, light white wine such as a Sauvignon Blanc or Riesling, or even a light beer to compliment the bold coffee flavors.
This dish is perfect for entertaining guests at home or simply enjoying with family and friends. The sticky coffee goodness and juicy roasted chicken pieces are sure to be a crowd-pleaser at any gathering.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
No matter how delicious your coffee chicken recipe turns out to be, it is essential to know how to make-ahead, store and reheat the dish in order to enjoy it for longer. The good news is that this particular recipe can hold up well in both the refrigerator and freezer, making it an excellent option for those busy weeknights when cooking a fresh meal is not an option.
To make ahead of time, prepare and marinate the chicken in the coffee marinade or dry rub a day prior to cooking. This will help give the chicken enough time for the flavors to infuse into the meat. After marinating, cover the bowl in plastic wrap or transfer the chicken pieces to an airtight container before storing it in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
When storing leftovers, ensure that your coffee chicken has cooled down completely before transferring it into a clean airtight container as it will help prevent bacteria growth. Stored properly in the refrigerator, your leftover coffee chicken can last for up to four days.
To reheat your stored coffee chicken, simply place it in a preheated oven at 350°F (177°C) and bake it covered with aluminum foil for 15-20 minutes before serving. For added crispiness, remove foil during the last 5 minutes of baking.
This coffee rubbed roasted chicken can also be frozen if you have leftovers or you wish to make extra chicken. If tightly sealed in freezer-safe bags or containers and stored correctly, it can last up to four months. Simply defrost your frozen chicken by placing it in the refrigerator overnight before reheating following instructions above.
By knowing these simple tips on Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating your coffee chicken recipe, you can guarantee that your flavorful dish continues delivering comforting meals long after its first serve!
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve perfect results when making coffee chicken, it’s important to pay attention to some critical details that can make or break the recipe. Here are some tips to help you prepare a delicious and succulent coffee chicken every time.
(1) Use fresh ingredients: A great coffee chicken starts with fresh ingredients. Use fresh chicken, brewed coffee, olive oil, and other ingredients for the best flavor.
(2) Don’t overcook: Overcooking chicken will result in dry and tough meat that is not pleasing to the palate. Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink, but avoid cooking it for too long. Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
(3) Marinate the chicken overnight: For a more flavorful coffee chicken, marinate the chicken in the coffee marinade overnight or for at least four hours. This allows the flavors of soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, and other ingredients to infuse into the meat.
(4) Pat the chicken dry before applying the rub: Before applying a dry rub onto the chicken, ensure that it is dry. Patting it down with paper towels will help take out excess moisture and will help the rub stick better.
(5) Rub thoroughly: Rub the entire chicken with the coffee rub mix well to ensure that every inch of skin has enough seasoning.
(6) Let rest before serving: After removing from heat source let your chicken rest for at least 10 minutes so it can absorb back moisture lost during cooking process making it tenderer and juicier.
(7) Experiment with different cuts: Coffee rubbed chicken is quite versatile so try changing up cuts used like using thigh meat or using drumsticks if you want something smaller
Follow these tips to create a delicious dish like no other – coffee rubbed roasted or smoked chicken, grilled chicken breast or even bbq’d or fried version available whichever way you desire it!
Before we wrap up this article, I want to address some common questions that you may have about this scrumptious coffee chicken recipe. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced cook, you may want to know how to modify the recipe or troubleshoot some issues that arise during cooking. Therefore, let’s dive into the frequently asked questions about coffee chicken so that you can tackle them with confidence and elevate your culinary skills.
What does soaking chicken in milk do?
Milk has been known to have a positive effect on the texture and taste of chicken. Researchers suggest that the calcium present in milk activates a natural enzyme in the chicken that promotes tenderness. Furthermore, milk reduces the acidity and heat in the chicken, making it easier on the palate. This applies not only to dairy milk but also to non-dairy milk like coconut milk, which is also rich in calcium. In addition, the milk creates a delicious creamy sauce that lends moistness to the cooked chicken, making it even more appetizing.
What is the secret to juicy chicken?
When preparing chicken breasts, it’s important to take the time to brine them for at least 20 to 30 minutes in a mixture of water and a few tablespoons of salt. This will enhance the natural flavor of the chicken and add moisture, resulting in a tender and juicy piece of meat. Brining is a crucial step in preventing dry and tough chicken, so don’t skip it! As a barista, I have learned that taking the time to properly prepare ingredients is key in creating delicious drinks and meals.
How do you make chicken soft like a restaurant?
To get that perfect tender and juicy chicken, start by placing it in a bowl and evenly sprinkling baking soda all over the surface. Use your fingers to toss it around and ensure every inch is coated. Let it sit in the fridge for about 20 minutes for slices or 30 minutes for smaller bite-sized pieces. Once ready, rinse it well in a colander to remove any excess baking soda. Give it a good shake and then pat it down to remove any excess water, although it doesn’t need to be completely dry. This step will help achieve that ideal texture when cooked.
Can you soak chicken in milk before cooking?
If you want to soften chicken and give it a delicious taste, marinating it before baking is the way to go. One marinade that works well is milk, which adds a creamy flavor and keeps the chicken moist. Making a baked chicken dish marinated in milk is quite simple and doesn’t take long – only 10 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to bake.
In conclusion, this coffee chicken recipe is the epitome of flavor and simplicity. With just a handful of ingredients and a reliable roasting chicken, you can create a mouthwatering dish that will leave your taste buds on cloud nine. I recommend giving this recipe a try to enjoy the delectable flavors of brewed coffee, brown sugar, and lemon zest all blended into one juicy piece of chicken.
Not only does this recipe pair well with sides like mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables or rice, but it’s also versatile enough to experiment with various substitutions and variations based on your personal preferences. And if you’re planning on hosting a party or gathering, serving up some sticky coffee drumsticks or roasted coffee wings is sure to impress your guests.
Overall, whether you choose to rub the chicken with coffee grounds or marinate it in a coffee brine, this coffee chicken recipe is guaranteed to bring warmth and comfort to your home. So why not give it a try for your next family dinner or get-together? Trust me; your taste buds will thank you for it.
Coffee Chicken Recipe
- 1 large roasting chicken, skinned & and visible fat removed, cut-up*
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar or 3 teaspoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- Place all but the chicken into a 5qt.
- pot with lid.
- Bring to a boil,stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to simmer and reduce to almost half.
- Stir frequently as this can burn.
- Let cool,off heat, 20 minutes.
- Add chicken and blend well.
- Marinate no more than 30 minutes in cool place.
- Turn into baking dish and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for one hour.
- Baste at least three times while baking.
- * Cut cholestrol down further by using boneless skinless chicken breasts.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
John has been working in the coffee industry for over five years, having started out as a barista in the bustling city of Los Angeles. He fell in love with the craft and set out to expand his knowledge and understanding of coffee. He has traveled all over the world, visiting coffee farms and learning from the best in the industry. His mission is to share his love of coffee and its unique flavors with others, and The Drive Coffee Bar is his way of doing that.