As a barista, I know the importance of a great cup of coffee. But, did you know that coffee can also make for some incredibly delicious baked treats? Introducing my favorite recipe for coffee walnut muffins, a sweet and nutty treat that goes perfectly with your morning cup of joe.
What makes these muffins so special? Well, not only do they have the bold and rich flavor of coffee infused into each bite, but they are also studded with crunchy walnuts that add complexity to every mouthful. These muffins are perfect as an indulgent breakfast or as a treat to enjoy with friends and family.
Whether you’re an experienced baker or just beginning to dabble in the art of pastry, my coffee walnut muffins are sure to impress. So grab your apron and preheat your oven, because we’re about to embark on a journey towards the perfect cupcake-like muffin with a kick of caffeine!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Have you ever had a cup of coffee and a slice of walnut cake at the same time? Imagine that experience, but in muffin form. That’s what you’ll get when you try these coffee walnut muffins.
But why should you take the time to make these muffins? Well, aside from the decadent flavor combination of rich coffee and nutty walnuts, these muffins are also incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients and a muffin tin, you’ll have a batch of freshly baked muffins in no time.
Not only are they easy to make, but these muffins are also versatile. You can enjoy them for breakfast with a hot cup of coffee or tea, or as an afternoon snack when you need a little pick-me-up. They’re also the perfect treat to share with your friends and family.
And let’s not forget about the health benefits of these muffins. Walnuts are loaded with healthy fats, fiber, and protein that will keep you feeling full and satisfied all morning long. Plus, the addition of instant coffee means you’ll get a boost of caffeine that will help you power through your day.
So go ahead, give these coffee walnut muffins a try. Your taste buds – and your body – will thank you for it.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
Note: If you don’t have self-raising flour, you can use 2 cups of all-purpose flour and 4 teaspoons of baking powder instead.
Tip: To get the best coffee flavor in your muffins, use the best quality instant coffee available.
The Recipe How-To
Now, it’s time to get down to business and make these delicious Coffee Walnut Muffins!
Here’s what you’ll need to gather for this recipe:
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 100g chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl: self-raising flour, salt, baking powder, brown sugar, and chopped walnuts.
- Dissolve instant coffee in hot water and then pour the mixture into the mixing bowl. Mix together slowly.
- Add the milk to the mixture in the mixing bowl and stir until a smooth batter forms.
- Spoon the batter evenly into muffin tin liners placed inside a muffin tin.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into one of the muffins comes out clean.
Here are some additional tips that will help you get perfect results every time:
- Make sure you use instant coffee instead of regular ground coffee. Instant coffee has less moisture content, which will help ensure that your muffins have a consistent texture.
- Use whole milk instead of skim or low-fat milk. The higher fat content will give the muffins a richer flavor and texture.
- Be sure not to overmix your batter! Overmixing can make your muffins tough instead of light and fluffy.
- For an extra special touch, try adding a sprinkle of cinnamon on top of each muffin before baking.
By following these simple steps and helpful tips, you’ll end up with mouth-watering Coffee Walnut Muffins every time!
Substitutions and Variations
As a barista and avid baker, I know that sometimes you might not have all the ingredients needed or you may want to switch things up a bit. Well, fear not! Here are some suggestions for substitutions and variations that won’t compromise the delicious taste of these coffee walnut muffins.
– Walnuts: If you don’t have walnuts on hand, you can use pecans instead. The flavor will be slightly different, but still delicious!
– Flour: While this recipe calls for self-raising flour, you can still use all-purpose flour in its place with an added 1 tsp of baking powder per 1 cup of flour.
– Sugar: Brown sugar gives these muffins a wonderful caramel flavor, but if you prefer to use white sugar or coconut sugar for a lower glycemic option, go ahead!
– Instant Coffee: If you don’t have instant coffee packets, you can substitute with 2 tablespoons brewed coffee or espresso.
– Gluten-Free Option: For those who are gluten intolerant or celiac, you can use gluten-free self-rising flour in place of the regular self-raising flour.
– Add Some Chocolate: For a decadent twist, add chocolate chips or chunks to the muffin batter along with the walnuts.
– Swap Out the Walnuts: Instead of using walnuts or pecans, try adding diced bananas for banana walnut coffee muffins, dates for date walnut muffins, or make a streusel topping with crumbled up chocolate and crushed walnuts for chocolate walnut muffins.
– Low-Carb Option: Substitute the flour for whole wheat flour and use a sugar-free sweetener instead of brown sugar to make some delicious low-carb muffins without losing the indulgent flavor of coffee and walnuts.
The possibilities are endless! So feel free to get creative with your substitutions and variations for these coffee walnut muffins. Just remember to maintain the proportions and balance of wet and dry ingredients.
Serving and Pairing
Alright, now that the coffee walnut muffins are done, it’s time to savor their goodness with the perfect pairing. Coffee is always a great option since we already have the main ingredient for it. But if you’re feeling adventurous and fancy, you can try pairing these muffins with tea or even a nice glass of warm milk.
If you want to stick with coffee, I recommend brewing a strong pot of your favorite blend to perfectly complement the nutty flavor of walnuts infused in the muffin. Trust me, it’s a match made in heaven!
For tea, try a bold black tea like Earl Grey or English Breakfast. The strong caffeine content in these teas will give you an extra kick to start your day while still maintaining a rich and full flavor.
And if you’re feeling more indulgent, why not try serving these muffins with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream? The sweet and creamy taste of either of these will beautifully balance out the roasted notes from the nuts and coffee in the muffin.
One or two coffee walnut muffins make for the perfect breakfast or afternoon snack. But if you want to turn this into an impressive dessert spread at your next gathering with family and friends, try serving them alongside other muffin flavors like date walnut or banana nut. The contrasting flavors will create an exciting taste experience for everyone involved!
So go ahead and get creative with how you serve and pair these delicious coffee walnut muffins. There’s no wrong way to indulge in these treats!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As a barista, there is nothing more satisfying than baking and serving freshly made muffins to my customers. But if you’re making these delicious coffee walnut muffins at home, you might want to plan ahead and figure out how to store and reheat them for future use.
First things first, don’t store hot muffins in an airtight container or plastic bag as that will cause moisture to build up, resulting in soggy muffins. Instead, let your muffins cool down completely on a wire rack before storing them in an airtight container or plastic bag.
If you’re planning to consume them within the next 2-3 days, keep them at room temperature. However, if you’re planning to store them for longer, then it’s best to put them in the refrigerator. Make sure you take them out a few hours before consuming, as cold muffins can lose their wonderful texture and flavor.
Now, let’s talk reheating! The best way to reheat your coffee walnut muffins is in the oven. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and place your muffins on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Reheat the muffins for about 10-15 minutes until they’re warm and slightly crunchy on top.
Alternatively, you can also reheat them in the microwave by wrapping each muffin in a damp paper towel and heating it for about 20-30 seconds. This will keep the moisture level right without making it soggy.
Remember to store any leftover muffins properly to avoid spoilage or moisture buildup inside your container. Proper storage helps preserve their taste, moistness and freshness so that you can enjoy delicious coffee walnut muffins even after several days.
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you know how to make the perfect cup of coffee walnut muffins, there are a few tips and tricks that can take your baking game to the next level. Follow these tips for perfect results every time!
Firstly, when making muffins, it is crucial not to overmix the batter. Overmixing causes gluten to develop, resulting in tough, dense muffins. So, after you have combined the wet and dry ingredients, mix them only until just combined. A lumpy batter is what you want here, which will ensure light and fluffy muffins.
Secondly, ensure that your oven is preheated properly to the correct temperature stated in the recipe. This is especially important when baking muffins as uneven temperatures prevent them from rising evenly. Let the oven preheat for at least ten minutes before inserting your muffin tin.
Next up is measuring your ingredients accurately. Baking soda or baking powder in excess can lead to disappointing results. Use standard measuring cups and spoons rather than eyeballing it for best results.
If you are using frozen walnuts or pecans in your recipe, ensure they are completely thawed before incorporating them into the batter. Cold nuts will lower the temperature of the batter and hinder the muffins from rising correctly.
Lastly, let the muffins cool down before taking them out of their liners or tin so that they don’t stick to them. Removing them too soon places them at risk of breaking apart, but waiting just a few extra minutes ensures intact and perfectly shaped muffins.
By following these tips, you’ll be on your way to making perfect coffee walnut muffins every single time!
In conclusion, this coffee walnut muffins recipe is the perfect sweet treat for coffee and muffin lovers alike! The combination of rich instant coffee and crunchy walnuts makes these muffins absolutely irresistible. Plus, with easy-to-find ingredients and simple instructions, this recipe is a breeze to make.
Whether you’re baking a batch for yourself or for a group of friends, you’re sure to love the bold coffee flavor and satisfying texture of these muffins. Trust me, once you try them, you won’t be able to resist making them over and over again.
So what are you waiting for? Grab your ingredients and get baking! Whether you enjoy them for breakfast, a midday snack, or as a sweet treat after dinner, these coffee walnut muffins are sure to become one of your new favorite recipes.
Coffee Walnut Muffins Recipe
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup milk or 1/2 cup cream
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Dissolve coffee in hot water and add milk or cream, beaten egg and oil.
- Stir flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together and stir in the nuts.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and mix only to moisten.
- Spoon into greased muffin tin and bake 375F degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
John has been working in the coffee industry for over five years, having started out as a barista in the bustling city of Los Angeles. He fell in love with the craft and set out to expand his knowledge and understanding of coffee. He has traveled all over the world, visiting coffee farms and learning from the best in the industry. His mission is to share his love of coffee and its unique flavors with others, and The Drive Coffee Bar is his way of doing that.