Indulge in Decadent German Chocolate Pie Recipe
Indulge in the rich, melt-in-your-mouth goodness of Luby’s Cafeteria German Chocolate Pie. This classic Southern dessert is a perfect combination of sweet chocolate, pecans and flaked coconut that will tantalize even the most discerning taste buds. The pie has been enjoyed for generations and has its roots in Germany, but it wasn’t until the 1950s that it gained popularity in America after the recipe was printed on a box of German’s Sweet Chocolate.
Cooking can be intimidating, but this simple recipe will leave you feeling like a seasoned pastry chef. With just a few ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you’ll have a dessert that’s a hit at any gathering or perfect to satisfy your sweet tooth. You might even feel like sharing the recipe – but that’s totally up to you!
This recipe is perfect for those who want to indulge in delicious chocolate desserts without being overly decadent. So let’s jump right into the ingredient list and get started on making this mouthwatering treat!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you in search of a delectable dessert recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth? Look no further than Luby’s Cafeteria German Chocolate Pie! This pie is an exceptional treat that will please any crowd.
What’s not to love about it? The rich and creamy chocolate filling is perfectly balanced with sweet coconut flakes, crunchy pecans, and smooth German chocolate. The use of vanilla extract enhances the flavors of the filling even more, providing you with an unmatched taste sensation that will leave you craving for more.
Additionally, this recipe features easily accessible and affordable ingredients such as evaporated milk, white sugar, eggs, cornstarch, and all-purpose flour. With just a few simple steps, you can create a mouthwatering masterpiece that looks like it was made by a professional baker.
Not only is this recipe easy to follow, but it also allows for substitutions and variations. You can swap out the pecans for walnuts or almonds, or add in extra flaked coconut for added texture. Whether you want to switch things up or stick to the original recipe, your taste buds are in for an unforgettable experience.
In conclusion, Luby’s Cafeteria German Chocolate Pie is a must-try dessert that will leave you coming back for more. It’s easy to make with accessible ingredients and versatile enough to accommodate various preferences. Trust us – this indulgent delight will quickly become one of your favorite desserts!
Get Your Utensils Ready
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 can evaporated milk (12 oz)
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1.5 cups flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 3 oz German sweet chocolate, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Drizzle:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup of chocolate chips
– 5 oz Whipped topping
[Note]: For the filling ingredients, bold the ingredients you’ll put after it is mixed.
The Recipe How-To
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Step 1 – Pie Crust
1. Start by making the pie crust. Mix together 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon white sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
2. Soften 1 stick of unsalted butter and cut it into small pieces. Add the butter to the flour mixture and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work it in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Slowly add in water, a tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together in a ball.
4. Roll out the dough on a floured surface and place it into a deep-dish pie pan. Trim any excess dough hanging over the edge.
Step 2 – German Chocolate Filling
1. In a large saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups white sugar, 1/4 cup cornstarch, and 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder. Mix well.
2. Add in 4 beaten eggs, one at a time, and mix until smooth.
3. Stir in one 12-ounce can of evaporated milk and two tablespoons of butter until all ingredients are combined.
4. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil.
5. Remove from heat and stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1 cup chopped pecans, and one cup flaked coconut.
6. Pour the filling into the pie crust.
Step 3 – Baking
1. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the filling is set.
2. Allow it to cool completely before serving.
Step 4 – Optional Toppings
– You can serve this pie with whipped cream or homemade chocolate sauce if desired.
Follow these simple steps for an easy bake, Luby’s Cafeteria-style German Chocolate Pie recipe that will be sure to impress all your friends and family!
Substitutions and Variations
There are various ways to put a personal twist on this rich and decadent Luby’s Cafeteria German Chocolate Pie recipe. Here are some suggestions to get creative in the kitchen.
– Flour: If you want to make it gluten-free, substitute all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour. Other alternative flours such as spelt, nut and oat flour can also be used in place of all-purpose flour.
– Sugar: Experiment with brown sugar or try using coconut sugar for a healthier take on this sweet treat.
– Pecans: Swap pecans with walnuts or almonds for a different crunch.
– Chocolate: If German chocolate is not available, use semi-sweet chocolate or dark chocolate.
– Pie Crust: A traditional crust made from graham crackers or digestive biscuits will work well for this pie, but you could also experiment with crushed cookies, buttery shortbread or even pastry dough.
– Chocolate Chess Pie: For those who prefer something richer and creamier, try adding one tablespoon of cocoa powder in the filling mix to create a chocolate chess pie.
– Meringue Topping: Take the Luby’s Cafeteria-style pie to the next level by replacing the coconut topping with a fluffy meringue made with egg whites and sugar.
– Chocolate Cream Pie: Add two tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder to the filling mix for a luscious and velvety chocolate cream pie.
Remember that recipe variations can bring personality to your cooking, but stick to proportions in ingredients to avoid any kitchen nightmares. Always strive for perfect results and enjoy your homemade masterpiece.
Serving and Pairing
Once your Luby’s Cafeteria German Chocolate Pie is ready, it’s time to serve and enjoy! This decadent dessert is best enjoyed with a cup of hot coffee or tea, which helps to balance out the sweetness of the pie.
One way to take this dish to the next level is by topping it with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. These additions not only add a creamy texture but also provide an additional layer of flavor.
Another option is to pair this dessert with a glass of warm fresh milk, which is perfect for those who prefer a simple yet classic accompaniment. The milk helps to balance the rich and sweet flavors of the pie.
When it comes to serving ideas, you can never go wrong keeping it classic by serving this pie on its own. However, if you are looking for something more creative, consider garnishing it with some finely chopped pecans or flaked coconut. These toppings enhance the texture and flavor of the pie, making it more enticing to enjoy.
Overall, serving and pairing options for Luby’s Cafeteria German Chocolate Pie are plenty. With your creativity and imagination, there are endless possibilities on how you can present this dessert and make it even more enjoyable.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As a barista, I know how important it is to be able to prepare things ahead of time. When it comes to Luby’s Cafeteria German Chocolate Pie, you can certainly make it ahead of time and store it properly until the moment presents itself.
After preparing your pie, wait for it to cool down completely before storing it. To store, wrap the pie tightly in plastic wrap or freeze-safe, airtight container and place it in the freezer or refrigerator, whichever suits you. For best taste and texture, consume the pie within four days of storage.
If you plan on reheating your Luby’s Cafeteria German Chocolate Pie that has been chilled, there are several ways to go about it. The first option is simply letting the pie sit on a counter or at room temperature for thirty minutes to an hour before serving. Another option is reheating it in the oven at 350°F (177°C) for about fifteen minutes or until the filling is warm again.
Alternatively, you can reheat individual slices in a microwavable container at 30-40 second intervals until heated through.
It’s worth mentioning that although this recipe can be stored and reheated, keep in mind that refrigeration and rewarming will likely affect the texture of the crust and filling slightly.
With these tips on storing and reheating your Luby’s Cafeteria German Chocolate Pie, feel free to make ahead and indulge in one of your favorite desserts anytime.
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to making desserts, the details matter, especially when baking a delicious German Chocolate Pie. While following the recipe is essential, there are additional tips that can help you perfect your dessert and impress your guests.
First and foremost, make sure to measure all the ingredients correctly. Baking requires precision, so use measuring cups and spoons instead of estimating amounts by eye. Avoid packing flour and sugar into the measuring cup as it will result in more ingredients than necessary and alter the texture of your pie.
Additionally, allow your ingredients to reach room temperature before starting the recipe. This includes eggs, butter and evaporated milk, which mix better at room temperature rather than when cold or hot. Room-temperature ingredients allow your pie batter to blend seamlessly while also fluffing it up.
Another crucial factor is being conscious of oven temperature. You want to ensure that it is preheated to the exact temperature suggested in the recipe before placing your pie in it. If not sure about the oven’s accuracy or you’ve noticed variations in heat between different ovens – get an oven thermometer! It’s an inexpensive investment that will make baking easier.
It is also important to not overmix your batter, especially after adding eggs. Overmixing will create air pockets and cause your pie’s surface to crack or bubble unevenly as it bakes. Instead of using an electric mixer, whisk together batter ingredients by hand until just blended.
Lastly, once removed from the oven let it cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. The residual heat will complete its cooking process before serving but still giving it time to settle and help avoid runny filling or breaking crust upon cutting slices.
By applying these tips during preparation of this luscious German Chocolate Pie recipe, you’ll set yourself on track for great results!
In conclusion, this Luby’s Cafeteria German Chocolate Pie recipe is an absolute must-try for anyone who loves indulgent and decadent desserts. With its rich chocolate flavor and crunchy pecans and coconut topping, this pie is sure to become a favorite in your household!
Remember to follow the recipe instructions carefully and use good quality ingredients like German chocolate, all-purpose flour, and unsweetened cocoa powder to achieve the best results. Don’t be afraid to experiment with variations such as adding some vanilla extract or adjusting the sweetness level slightly to suit your taste.
Whether you’re serving this pie at a special event or just indulging in it at home, make sure to pair it with a nice cup of coffee or a glass of milk to really enhance the flavor. And if you have any leftovers, simply store them in the refrigerator and reheat them later for a delicious treat.
This Luby’s Cafeteria German Chocolate Pie recipe is truly one of the best dessert recipes out there, so why not give it a try today? You won’t be disappointed!
Luby’s Cafeteria German Chocolate Pie Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted (no substitutions)
- 2 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts (either storebought or your own recipe)
- Preheat oven to 375F (190 degrees C).
- In a large bowl combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch and cocoa.
- Add water and melted butter; whisk until combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Add the milk and beat until well blended.
- Stir in the coconut, pecans and vanilla.
- Pour batter into the pie shell.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until firm.
Your Own Notes
John has been working in the coffee industry for over five years, having started out as a barista in the bustling city of Los Angeles. He fell in love with the craft and set out to expand his knowledge and understanding of coffee. He has traveled all over the world, visiting coffee farms and learning from the best in the industry. His mission is to share his love of coffee and its unique flavors with others, and The Drive Coffee Bar is his way of doing that.