Delicious Peppermint Latte Recipe – Perfect for Winter!
Do you love the cozy feeling of sipping on a warm drink during the holidays? If so, this recipe is for you. I’m excited to share with you my homemade Peppermint Latte recipe. Perfect for sipping on a chilly morning or evening in front of a roaring fireplace, this drink combines the flavors of chocolate and peppermint to create a deliciously warm and inviting drink you’ll want to enjoy again and again.
What I love about this recipe is not only its delicious taste but also its simplicity. With just a handful of ingredients, many of which you may already have in your pantry, you can whip up a festive and indulgent treat right from the comfort of your own kitchen.
But don’t let its ease fool you – this homemade Peppermint Latte is sure to impress even the toughest coffee critics. So, without further ado, let’s get started with my step-by-step guide to making the perfect Peppermint Latte.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Dear coffee lovers,
Are you ready to indulge in a rich, creamy, and refreshing cup of Joe that’s perfect for the holiday season? Look no further than my Peppermint Latte recipe. This recipe is guaranteed to satisfy your cravings and brighten up your day.
Imagine sipping on this delicious latte, with its unforgettable aroma of peppermint and the comforting warmth of strong black coffee. The mix of cocoa powder, milk, and half-and-half gives it a smooth and velvety texture that melts in your mouth, while the creme de menthe adds a fresh twist to the classic mocha latte.
What I love about this recipe is how easy it is to follow. You don’t need any fancy equipment or ingredients. All you need is a strong cup of brewed coffee, peppermint extract, cocoa powder, sugar, milk, half-and-half, and a few tablespoons of creme de menthe. And in less than 10 minutes, you’ll have a delectable Peppermint Latte right at home.
But what really sets this recipe apart is how versatile it is. Whether you prefer dairy-free milk or maple syrup instead of sugar, there’s always room for personalization. You can even opt for dark chocolate curls or whipped cream as toppings for an extra indulgent touch.
In other words, my Peppermint Latte recipe doesn’t only taste amazing but also provides endless possibilities to experiment and make it your own. And that’s why I am confident that once you try it, you’ll fall in love with its flavors and versatility – especially during Christmas!
- Strong black coffee – 1 cup (you can use espresso, freshly brewed coffee or any strong coffee as a substitute)
- Sugar – 1/4 cup (adjust according to your preference)
- Peppermint extract – 1/2 teaspoon (use pure peppermint extract for the best flavor)
- Milk – 2 cups (you can use whole milk, dairy-free milk or any type of milk that you prefer)
- Half-and-half – 1/2 cup (This is optional. It can enhance the creaminess of the latte)
- Cocoa powder – 2 tablespoons
- Whipped cream – for topping (optional)
- Creme de menthe – 1/4 cup (if you want to add an alcoholic twist to your latte)
- Peppermint syrup or chocolate syrup – (for a sweeter and more flavorful latte)
- Dark chocolate curls or milk chocolate chips – for garnishing
- If you’re using a flavored milk alternative, like almond or soy, be sure to taste it alone first to check if it goes well with peppermint flavor.
- Use high-quality cocoa powder to create a chocolaty taste.
- After adding sugar, always remember to taste and adjust based on your taste preferences.
- For a Starbucks-inspired peppermint latte recipe, use their preferred Sencha green tea blend.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get down to business and make our Peppermint Latte. This recipe makes 2 servings.
- 2 cups of strong black coffee
- 1/2 cup of half-and-half or milk (you can use dairy-free milk as well)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract
- Whipped cream for topping (optional)
- Cocoa powder or chocolate curls for topping (optional)
- Brew 2 cups of strong black coffee and pour it into a large mixing bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Next, add 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract to the mixing bowl and stir.
- Pour in half-and-half or milk and stir until combined.
- Use a milk frother to froth the mixture or whisk hard to create a foam on top.
- Divide the peppermint latte between two mugs.
- Top with whipped cream and cocoa powder or chocolate curls if desired.
Enjoy your homemade Peppermint Latte!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to making a peppermint latte, there are plenty of ways to change up the recipe to fit your taste preferences. Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try:
– Dairy-free option: Use almond milk, coconut milk, or another dairy-free milk instead of half-and-half and milk.
– Maple syrup: Substitute granulated sugar with maple syrup for a natural sweetener. A little goes a long way, so start with two teaspoons and adjust to taste.
– Extra Peppermint Flavor: For an extra peppermint kick, add a sprinkle of crushed candy canes or peppermint candies to the top of the whipped cream. You can also increase the amount of peppermint extract used in the recipe.
– Chocolate twist: Add some chocolate flavor by using chocolate syrup, dark chocolate shavings or drops (use as a substitute for cocoa powder), or milk chocolate chips.
– Starbucks copycat: If you’re looking for a Starbucks-worthy drink, add some mocha sauce to your peppermint latte recipe (two tablespoons of mocha for each cup). Top it off with whipped cream and some chocolate curls to get the authentic Starbucks taste.
– Customize sweetness level: Adjust the sweetness level by reducing or increasing the amount of sugar used in the recipe.
– Use espresso instead of strong coffee: If you have an espresso machine at home or want to make a true latte by serving it with espresso shot(s) instead of strong brewed coffee.
– Change strength level: To make your drink stronger or weaker, adjust the amount of coffee used accordingly.
No matter what variation you choose, remember to include peppermint extract or homemade peppermint to keep that refreshing flavor. With just a few tweaks, you can create your ideal holiday drink.
Serving and Pairing
The Peppermint Latte is a perfect treat on chilly days or for a caffeine pick-me-up. When serving, the latte can be customized with whipped cream or chocolate curls for added flavor and decoration.
Pairing the Peppermint Latte can depend on personal preference. If you have a sweet tooth, pairing the latte with a pastry or cookie can elevate the flavors of both items. A cinnamon roll or sugar cookie would be delightful.
If you are looking for something more savory, a croissant or toasted bagel would pair well. For those who enjoy breakfast, serving the latte with pancakes or waffles can create a balance between sweetness and comfort.
If you are looking to really indulge, doing an adult twist on an Italian affogato by adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream to your latte can make it richer and creamier too!
Lastly, because of its peppermint and cocoa flavorings, the Peppermint Latte is an ideal drink to serve at Christmas gatherings. The vibrant flavors and colors make it a natural fit in any Holiday celebration.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Once you’ve made your delicious peppermint latte, you can easily store it for later use. The good news is that this recipe can be made in a large batch and chilled in the refrigerator for up to two days. To reheat, simply pour the desired amount into a microwave-safe mug and heat for 30 seconds, or until it reaches your desired temperature.
For best results, we recommend reheating your peppermint latte on the stovetop. Pour the latte into a small saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring occasionally until heated through. This will help to preserve the creamy texture of the half-and-half and milk used in the recipe.
If you plan on making a larger batch of peppermint latte ahead of time, it’s best to leave out the whipped cream until you are ready to serve. This will prevent it from deflating or separating when stored in the refrigerator.
For those who are looking for an easy way to save time during the week, this peppermint latte recipe also works well as a cold brew. Simply make a strong batch of coffee using your preferred method and mix with the remaining ingredients. For optimal freshness, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Whatever method you choose, storing and reheating your peppermint latte is quick and easy!
Tips for Perfect Results
Making a perfect cup of peppermint latte involves science, art, and precision. Here are some pro-tips to ensure that your peppermint latte turns out perfectly each time you make it.
1- Use Strong Coffee: A good cup of peppermint latte starts with good coffee. Make sure to use strong coffee as the base of your latte.
2- Froth the Milk Properly: Proper frothed milk is at the heart of an excellent latte. To achieve it, ensure the milk is cold and steam it to create a rich and creamy texture essential for a perfect latte.
3- Get the Right Temperature: The ideal temperature for steamed milk in a peppermint latte is about 140°F. Keep an eye on it and don’t let it overheat.
4- Sweeten Wisely: Peppermint mocha has sweetness thanks to the chocolate, so take it easy on added sugar. Instead, use real vanilla extract or maple syrup to add a warm and subtle sweetness to your drink.
5- Balance Your Latte: A perfect peppermint latte is about creating balance between flavors. Adjust the amount of espresso, milk, cocoa powder, peppermint extract, and other flavors at different levels until you hit the right balance that suits your taste buds.
6- Be Creative with Garnish: The garnish adds an aesthetic appeal and extra flavor to your drink. Sprinkle espresso crema or chocolate shavings on top of whipped cream or sprinkle some crushed candy canes on top of whipped cream for that festive holiday look.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create that perfectly balanced, indulgent peppermint latte flavor without having to leave your home. Enjoy!
Now that we have gone through all the nitty-gritty details on how to make a delicious peppermint latte, let’s address some frequently asked questions (FAQ) to ensure nothing is left unanswered. If you are still curious or have any doubts, this FAQ section will help you clear things up and make the perfect cup of peppermint latte every time.
What is in Starbucks peppermint latte?
Get transported to the magical holiday season with our velvety, delectable Starbucks® Blonde Espresso infused with rich mocha sauce, cool peppermint notes, milk and ice. The melting, whipped cream and chocolate curls on top treat your taste buds to a whole new level of indulgence.
What is in the peppermint syrup at Starbucks?
The recipe calls for a combination of granulated sugar, water, natural flavorings, and preservatives such as sodium benzoate (E211) and citric acid (E330).
What is in a Starbucks peppermint mocha latte?
One of my favorite holiday drinks to make as a barista is the delicious peppermint mocha latte. This cozy beverage consists of a perfect blend of espresso, steamed milk, chocolate syrup, peppermint syrup, and topped off with a generous serving of whipped cream. Today, I’ll be sharing with you my tips and tricks for making the perfect peppermint mocha latte at home. So let’s get started!
Does peppermint latte have coffee?
The renowned peppermint mocha at Starbucks is an indulgent treat made with their signature sweet mocha sauce, espresso, and steamed milk. The drink is then infused with peppermint syrup to give it that refreshing twist. Topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, also known as their “dark chocolate curls,” this beverage is a perfect winter warmer to ease the chill away.
In conclusion, this peppermint latte recipe is perfect for those who love the taste of sweet and refreshing peppermint combined with the rich and bold flavor of coffee. Not only is it easy to make, but it can also be customized to fit your own unique taste preferences.
Whether you prefer a classic peppermint mocha or a creamy mocha latte with a hint of peppermint, this recipe has got you covered. With simple substitutions and variations, you can create a variety of different lattes to suit any occasion or mood.
So why not impress your friends and family this holiday season with your very own homemade peppermint latte? With these helpful tips and recommendations, you’ll be sure to produce a delicious and satisfying beverage that will warm your heart and lift your spirits. And who knows, maybe you’ll even inspire others to try making their own homemade lattes too!
In short, with just a few ingredients and some basic kitchen supplies, you have the power to create a coffee shop-quality drink in the comfort of your own home. So let’s get brewing and enjoy a festive and flavorful cup of joy!
Peppermint Latte Recipe
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon creme de menthe or 1 tablespoon peppermint schnapps
- 1 cup espresso or 1 cup strong black coffee
- Bring milk and half and half to hot, but not boiling.
- Stir in liquer.
- Whisk to make frothy.
- Divide coffee between two mugs.
- Add hot milk to each mug.
- Sweeten with sugar to taste.
- Top with whipped cream if desired and add a peppermint stick.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
John has been working in the coffee industry for over five years, having started out as a barista in the bustling city of Los Angeles. He fell in love with the craft and set out to expand his knowledge and understanding of coffee. He has traveled all over the world, visiting coffee farms and learning from the best in the industry. His mission is to share his love of coffee and its unique flavors with others, and The Drive Coffee Bar is his way of doing that.